Bangkok nightlife, everything you need to know
Bangkok can be really overwhelming at times. When talking about Bangkok Nightlife, you find yourself once again with (way too) many options and it's often hard to know what's good and what's not.
But let's look at the bright side, whatever you're into, you'll find it in the city of angels.
Festivals, Cocktail Bars, Rooftop Bars, Night Markets, International DJ/Artists, guest bartenders, Live Bands...
There's something for every occasion, for all kind of moods and for every budgets.
So if like me you love to party, welcome to heaven and here's my quick guide to Bangkok Nightlife.
Survival Guide to Bangkok Nightlife
First time exploring Bangkok nightlife? Here's the 101 to go out in Bangkok :
- You need to be over 20 in most clubs. Get an ID to prove it. (Any national ID would do, driving licence, passport...). Copies on your phone usually work but a few places will refuse it.
- No Tank Tops, no Shorts, no Flip Flops. I see a lot of people getting confused because they were staying in Khaosan Road (where most venues don't have a dress code), and they've been traveling to Thailand in cities where nobody cares about how you're dressed. It's not Pattaya, Phuket or Koh Phangan here guys. Bangkok is not a beach city and not a cheap place either. So expect most clubs and high end bars to have a strict dress code. (And yes, you can wear sneakers 👟)
- Go out early, as most of the clubs and bars close at 2am. There's a few spots that close later, but after hour venues are getting harder and harder to come by.
- Bangkok is getting expensive. Again, Khaosan Road being the exception. But in some places you can easily have to spend 400฿ (12$) for a drink in a cocktail bar and 4 000฿ (127$) for a bottle of Smirnoff in some clubs. So if you're on a budget, pick your spots carefully.
- Don't take taxis in front of clubs and bars. Because those will most likely refuse to put on the meter. Walk a few hundred meters and stop one in the street that will put the meter. Or use an app like Grab (the equivalent of Uber in Asia).
Download Grab App and Get 40฿ off your first ride
What's the best place to party in Bangkok?
Now that we're done with the basics, let's get to the point.
In my opinion, if you're in Bangkok for only a few days and you want to see as much as you can, here's the places I would pick with no hesitation :
- 1 Club : Sing Sing Theater
- 1 Area with more locals : RCA (Route 66 or Onyx)
- 1 Night Market : Ratchada Night Market
- 1 Pool Party : So Sofitel, Westin Hotel or W Hotel (there's usually one every Saturday)
- 1 Cheap Party : Khaosan Road
- 1 Rooftop Bar : Octave at Marriott Sukhumvit Soi 57
- 1 Cocktail Bar : Havana Social
- 1 Red Light District : Soi Cowboy
- 1 Gentlemen Club : The PIMP Bangkok
With this you have one of the best option (if not the best option) in each category and I can guarantee you will love each of this place.
Where to find what's going in Bangkok?
With so much happening all the time, it's often hard to stay on top of all the events.
But there's 3 websites that are really great to find out what is going in Bangkok:
- Siam2nite : they're covering most parties and clubs in Bangkok. Usually they have an up to date list of festivals, international djs, pool parties and concerts in the city.
- BK Magazine : My go to. They review almost every bars, clubs, restaurants, cafe, you name it, in the city. They also make a post every Friday that sum up what is going on that weekend.
- MojoSons.com : a bit of self promotion here. We're working on bringing you an up to date list of venues and parties in Bangkok and soon Thailand. That include some tips, maps, list of bars, clubs and more...
The first 2 have facebook and instagram accounts that are updated daily so between those 2 it should be easy to find what's going on in Bangkok when you're there.
Where to find the best bars, clubs...?
It took me a while to figure out where are are all the main venues, about 2 years to explore most of them and I'm in this industry and an alcoholic.
Truth is, a lot of content that pop up on Google is outdated and its hard to find a list of the actual cocktails bars, rooftop bars, clubs, gentlemen clubs, etc. as there's a ton of them that open and close all the time.
So long story short, I've made my own list, updated weekly with the last discovery from my friends, clients and myself :
- Save it in your favorites: Bangkok Party Guide Map
My experiences in Bangkok Nightlife
I've been lucky to organize private parties and trips in Thailand for a living.
Add to this my passion for good drinks (alcoholism) and you know the reason why I've been to so many clubs and bars in Bangkok.
Anyway, if you're looking for more recommendation to party in Bangkok and you've got the opportunity to stay here a while, here are some of my experiences and recommendations to plan your trip :
Last posts on Bangkok Nightlife
Tell me what's your favorite place to party in Bangkok and what sort of venues you want me to write about next. 🐵